SOUTHWICK PARISH COUNCIL
Chair: Cllr John Eaton, 30 Blind Lane, Southwick, Wiltshire, BA14 4PG 01225 07818 870098
Clerk: Nicola Duke, April Rise, 81 Studland Park, Westbury, Wiltshire, BA13 3HN 01373 864127
DRAFT Minutes of the Annual Council Meeting of the Parish Council held on Tuesday 18th May at 7.30 pm in the Village Hall.
Present: Cllr Eaton (Chair), Cllr Carey, Cllr Clayton, Cllr Curry, Cllr Heydon, Cllr Jackson, Cllr Noble, Cllr Porter, Cllr Prickett, Cllr Snell and Cllr Watson.
In attendance: N Duke (Parish Clerk) and 15 members of the public.
Members of the public were invited to make representations to the Council on any matters relating to the work of the Council or to raise any issues of concern:
· A resident queried the status of the traditional August Bank Holiday flower show and Cllr Noble confirmed that the village hall had been booked for the event, which would proceed covid restrictions at the time permitting. In response to a further question Cllr Noble confirmed that the Parish Council was considering the re-appointment of a village caretaker and the arrangements for a village litter pick event, matters which would be taken forward now that the new Council was in post.
· There was a general discussion regarding maintenance and highway works required in the village. The Clerk made a note of the reported items, which would be passed onto the relevant departments at Wiltshire Council. Cllr Prickett reported that he had been elected as Chair of the Community Area Transport Group (CATG), which dealt with highway matters and would provide as much support as he could in progressing works required in Southwick.
2021/01 Election of Chair
The Chair called for nominations for the Chair of the Parish Council. Cllr Snell proposed Cllr Carey, who thanked Cllr Snell for the nomination but declined to stand.
In accordance with the Local Government Act 1972 ss 15 (2) and 34 (2) it was proposed by Cllr Clayton, seconded by Cllr Porter and resolved to elect Cllr Eaton as Chair of the Parish Council for the municipal year 2021/2022.
Cllr Noble was thanked for her years of service as Chair of the Parish Council.
2021/02 Declaration of acceptance of office
The Chair duly signed his declaration of acceptance of office.
2021/03 Apologies for Absence
2021/04 Declarations of Interest and Dispensations to Participate
2021/05 Election of Vice-Chair
In accordance with the Local Government Act 1972 ss 15 (6) and 34 (6) it was proposed by Cllr Carey, seconded by Cllr Clayton and resolved to elect Cllr Curry as Vice-Chair of the Parish Council for the municipal year 2021/2022.
2021/06 Declaration of Acceptance of Office
The Vice-Chair duly signed her declaration of acceptance of office.
2021/07 Appointment of Representatives to Outside Bodies
Representatives were agreed as below listed:
Playing Field Management Committee – Mr Pomeroy
Friends of Southwick Country Park Nature Reserve – Cllr Clayton
Village Hall Management Committee – Cllr Watson
Trowbridge Area Board/CATG – Cllrs Carey and Clayton
2021/08 Appointment of Members’ Areas of Responsibility
Members were appointed to the following specific areas of responsibility, where an appointment was not made it was agreed to consider these when a relevant item came before the Parish Council. The Parish Clerk would endeavour to obtain information on the roles from previous post holders.
Highways – Cllrs Carey and Clayton
Rights of Way – Cllr Carey
2021/09 Chairman’s Allowance
Members considered the level of the annual allowance for the Chair’s expenses and agreed that no allowance was required.
2021/10 Banking Arrangements
Members resolved the following (proposed Cllr Carey, seconded Cllr Clayton), noting that the items had been discussed during the previous Council’s term of office and referred to the new council post-election for ratification:
· Cllrs Carey, Eaton and Curry were confirmed as nominated signatories. Cllr Noble and Mr Pomeroy would be removed as signatories on the bank mandate.
· The correspondence address for the bank accounts to be adjusted to the Clerk’s address.
· An application for online banking would be made. The Parish Clerk would circulate the previously agreed procedure for the use of online banking for the benefit of new members.
2021/11 Meeting Schedule 2021-2022
Members noted the calendar of meetings for the municipal year as:
Tuesday 15th June 2021
Tuesday 20th July 2021
Tuesday 17th August (if required)
Tuesday 21st September 2021
Tuesday 19th October 2021
Tuesday 16th November 2021
Tuesday 21st December 2021
Tuesday 18th January 2022
Tuesday 15th February 2022
Tuesday 15th March 2022
Tuesday 19th April 2022
Tuesday 17th May 2022 – Annual Council Meeting and Annual Parish Meeting
It was noted that, should extra meetings be required to consider planning applications, these were traditionally held on the first Tuesday of the month.
There being no further business the meeting was closed at 8.20 pm.