SOUTHWICK PARISH COUNCIL
Chairman – Mr D Jackson
DRAFT Minutes of the Annual Meeting of Southwick Parish Council held in the Village Hall, Southwick at 7.30 pm on Tuesday 16 May 2017.
Cllr.T.Curry, Cllr.D.Jackson , Cllr.J.Jones, Cllr.F.Morland, Cllr.K.Noble , Cllr.T.Pomeroy, Cllr.B.Sansom, Cllr.L.Weeks
Mr P Abrahams Clerk
Wiltshire Council Cllr. Horace Prickett attended.
- Welcome and Introductions.
Cllr. Noble welcomed everyone to the meeting.
- Register of Interests, Code of Conduct and Declaration of Interests
There were no interests declared.
Apologies for non-attendance were received from Cllrs.G.Clayton, J.Eaton, S.Carey and from PCSO Ellie Porter - Community Policing Team.
- Election of Chair.
Cllr.T.Pomeroy proposed that Cllr.D.Jackson be elected Chairman. This motion was seconded by Cllr.K.Noble.
Cllr.L.Weeks proposed that Cllr. J.Eaton be elected Chairman. This motion was seconded by Cllr.T.Curry.
A vote was taken
Cllr.D.Jackson , Cllr.F.Morland, Cllr.K.Noble , Cllr.T.Pomeroy voted for Cllr D Jackson (4 votes)
Cllr.T.Curry, Cllr.J.Jones, Cllr.B.Sansom, Cllr.L.Weeks voted for Cllr J Eaton. (4 votes)
The Chair Cllr.K.Noble, as a continuing Parish Councillor, and as required by law gave her casting vote to Cllr D Jackson.
Cllr.D.Jackson was duly elected as Chair
Cllr.D.Jackson signed the Declaration Form in the presence of the Clerk, and took the Chair.
- Election of Vice Chair.
Cllr. F Morland proposed that Cllr. K Noble be elected Vice Chairman for the ensuing year. This motion was seconded by Cllr.T.Pomeroy. There were no other nominations and Cllr. K Noble was elected.
Cllr. K.Noble signed the Declaration Form in the presence of the Clerk
- Appointment of Representatives.
The Council resolved that the following be appointed representatives, as shown:
- Playing Field Management Committee - Cllrs. T.Pomeroy and Cllr B.Sansom
- Friends of Southwick Country Park – Cllr. J. Jones.
- Village Hall Management Committee – Cllr. K.Noble and Cllr. L.Weeks
- Community Area Transport Group (CATG) – No appointment
- Trowbridge Area Board – No Appointment
The Clerk reported that the Parish Council had been approached by the Chair of Governors at the Southwick CE Primary School to see if the Parish Council would propose a candidate for Governor. The Council resolved that the vacancies should be addressed at the Parish Council Meeting in June.
- Delegation of Specific Responsibilities.
The Council resolved that the parish representatives as shown should be deferred to the Parish Council Meeting in June, with the exception of Cllr T.Pomeroy who will continue with dealing with Planning applications in the interim.
- Health/Social Services
- Area Community Group/Link
- Police Liaison/’Bobby’ Link
- Planning, Housing – Cllr. Pomeroy.
- Rights of Way.
- Emergency Planning Unit.
- Public Transport.
- Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator
The Council noted the following extant arrangements/contracts:
- Playing Field Maintenance (Greenacres/Playing Field Management Committee).
- Playing Field Hedges etc (Jackson & Son)
- Old Blind House Site Maintenance (J L Pethers).
- Southwick Village News Printing (Doveton Press).
- Village Caretaker (Litter)(M West).
- Website (XYZWeb Ltd). (G Edwards)
- Clerk's Salary and Expenses.
The Council noted that the Clerk was paid in accordance with the National Association of Local Councils Scale for Part Time Clerks, on SCP22 at an hourly rate of £10.75.
The Vice Chair reported that the costs of recruiting replacement Parish Clerks over the last six months is approximately £2000 (Includes overtime with overlapping clerks and advertising costs)
- Accounts for the Year ending 31 March 2017.
The Clerk gave a brief report on the Accounts for FY2015/2016. He stated that he had balanced the accounts, reconciled the Bank accounts with the Cash Book and had completed the Annual Return.
The Clerk commented that the Internal Auditor had undertaken the audit and all matters were satisfactory and that the Annual Return had been signed by the Internal Auditor to that effect.
The Clerk stated that the Annual Return will be submitted to the Parish Council for approval and, if approved, the Annual Return will then be sent to Grant Thornton, the External Auditor by the 25th May 2017.
- The Council unanimously resolved to approve Section 1 (Annual Governance Statement 2016/17) of the Annual Return and the Chairman signed it on behalf of the Council.
- The Council unanimously resolved to approve Section 2 (Accounting Statements 2016/17) of the Annual Return and the Chairman signed it on behalf of the Council.
- The Council confirmed that the Clerk is the Responsible Finance Officer.
- The Council agreed unanimously that a sum of £100 be paid to Anne Crawford as appropriate remuneration for the work undertaken by the Internal Auditor.
- Chairman’s Allowance.
The Chairman declined an allowance/honorarium. No award was made.
- Banking arrangements.
The Council agreed unanimously to maintain the existing ‘banking arrangements’ with Lloyds for the year and that there would be no change to the requirement for two signatories.
The Council resolved to add Cllr Jackson to the existing nominated signatories namely Cllr. Noble, Cllr. Pomeroy and Cllr. Carey.
- Asset Register.
The Council noted the Asset Register dated 31 March 2017.
- Risk Register
The Council approved the Risk Register dated 1 April 2016.
- Insurance Cover.
The Council noted the existing Zurich Municipal insurance policies and that the policies adequately covered all reasonable risks at the present time. There are two policies in place currently, one covers the Playing Field, and one covering the Parish Council. SPC also check annually with the Southwick & North Bradley Scout Group that the insurance of the Old Village School is appropriate.
- Financial Regulations.
The Council agreed that there were no changes necessary to the Financial Regulations dated 17 May 2011.
- Appointment of Internal Auditor.
- The Clerk confirmed that Anne Crawford was prepared to remain the Internal Auditor for a further year and the Council resolved to appoint her as Internal Auditor.
- The Council resolved that the Terms of Reference for the Internal Audit dated 17 May 2011 were satisfactory and agreed that it was satisfied with the effectiveness of the audit.
The Clerk suggested that at a future meeting the terms of reference for the internal audit be reviewed.
- Budget Details for Financial Year 2017/2018.
The Council noted the agreed Budget for FY2017/18.
- Standing Orders.
The Council resolved that no additional Standing Orders were required at this stage.
The meeting closed at approximately 7:54 pm.
Southwick Parish Council